Monday, September 22, 2008

Repeat in Redemption

My season has come and gone…much to my chagrin – still trying to get used to these short seasons compared to Idaho’s 3 month season – but really I shouldn't complain (although I am still hoping to get my hands on a couple of elk tags). Elk season last year was 5 days and I hunted 4 of them. After missing opening day again this year I somehow knew that my last and 4th day of hunting would be the best for me…again.

It has been dry here so I was worried that it would be a repeat of my humble pie day two weeks ago, so I rigged up some quiet walking with two pairs of socks and inserts from my boots. I started hiking about an hour before shooting light so I could sit on a trail I felt might be promising – wrong. But as I hiked in the dark I jumped a herd of elk and was able to see a satellite bull right at first light that had stuck around to look for stray cows. And after sitting at the trail I hiked, ever so slowly, up the mountain to sit in the area I should have shot at the buck last week. While sitting there from noon to about two, I was visited by some elk, 5 cows and a spike that decided to graze about 15 to 30 yards from me for a couple of minutes until a cow got a whiff of me. Fun, but I can’t shoot an elk. After deciding that the deer weren’t going to pass through there again, I headed back to the other side of the mountain.

Now, it was nearing 5 o’clock and I had yet to see a deer. Slightly beginning to fear being skunked on the last day, I kind of said a little prayer in my head “Please, Heavenly Father give me another chance, all I need to see is one buck. If I screw it up again, I will just have to live with that.”

As I worked down between two openings I stopped in a deer bed on a bench. As I stood there contemplating that a deer was probably bedded there that morning, I caught movement down hill from me, the movement carried antlers. “That’s about forty yards” I said, as I attached my release, pulled back anchored and released. The shot looked good and I watched him run about 50 yards and stop where I could just see its hind quarters. Did I hit him? I thought I saw my arrow fly through the air after two bounds, so I figured yes, I’d hit him but it must have been in the shoulder. As I watched him through the bino’s he turned as if to walk away, but then he stumbled and fell out of my view. I couldn’t believe it; I had just killed a buck with my bow. I looked up, uttered a grateful “Thank you Heavenly Father” and took out the cell phone to call Morgan – in a whisper of course. This all took place in a minute and a half or less - seeing the deer to watching it fall. After whispering to Morgan and Sage, I walked down to find out what I had shot – a young 3-point still in velvet. The shot was just on the back side of both front quarters, ruining a little meat, but I couldn’t have been happier.

5 comments:

LALALALUUUUUUUKE said...

Congrats Jake. Nothing like fresh blood. I don't know if I'll be going at all again but I will share my little bro's Alaska trip after he sends me some pictures.

Aaron and Camile said...

Nice shootin' Tex...er.. New Mex...er... Jake!!!

Pretty sweet. You know, Heavenly Father takes care of you when you ask Him.
I'm planning on going up to Idaho next month to get my one and only weekend to hunt this year.

Anonymous said...

Nice little buck. When I told people around here that it was still in velvet, they were surprised. Looks beautiful up there. I'm jealous.

Cole said...

Jacobo, that is a sweet buck. I'm so jelous I can't wait for you to take me hunting in a few years. For now, brother, I continue to live vicariously through you.

Colio

Anonymous said...

Nice job, Jacob! You've still got the bow hunting skills!