Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What is, and what should never be.

Lets start with what should never be. You should never be surrounded by elk on all sides without a elk tag in your pocket, especially when a nice 5-point bull bring up the rear of his 40 some odd cows and is within 40 yards. You should never spot a nice three by four buck bedded down some 25 yards away and fail to get a shot off or not even see the huge non-typical that was bedded about 10 yards from him. And you should never place the bottom of your bow on your leg when you fire your bow and see your arrow go off course.

What is... well I don't know why it is but it seems I always have to miss before I can shot something. What I missed was a little 2-point in velvet (in fact all four bucks I saw were still in velvet). I spotted the 2-point with a spike and was stalking them when they turned toward me, I then got caught in a little opening and had to sit down. Thus, when it came to shooting I had my bow on my leg and the rest is a leason learned.

So needless to say I saw a ton of animals and had a nice 13 hour hunt (which my shoulders are still sore from since I had not carried my bow around at all before the hunt). And since I don't have a picture of the buck I should have shot, here is a picture of an antelope skull that I found yesterday at work. I hope your hunting is going better than mine.

No comments: