Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tag Soup!!!

Well, my friends, I have good news and bad news.
Good news -- I shot a huge Muley buck opening day.
Bad news -- I didn't bring him home with me.

This last week I went up to Idaho to do some long needed Muley hunting at "No Tell 'um Ridge."


My dad, two friends and myself hit the trail @ 5am opening day to start the long hike to the top of the mountain where we knew the big bucks would be. We got to the top and split up to push through the trees. Luckily, I got the top position to catch any deer that wanted to slip up and over the ridge.


Just like clock work, the guys below me pushed two bucks up -- a little two point and a nice four point with cheaters that looked something like this. (compliments of Leon Parson Studio)

Now, I will tell you what not to do.
First mistake: I waited for him to stop and give me a nice broad side shot. He didn't. So, I fired off a shot and missed causing him to run faster down towards a patch of quakies. I fired again and this time hit him through the hind quarters. After which he stumbled, flipped and laid down in the quakies -- yes!!!


Second mistake: after a few seconds he started getting back up and I did not shoot him again -- bad mistake. He dragged himself a little further into the trees and out of sight. I thought he would just lay in there and die. But, after a short bit I heard some horses through the trees and two hunters on horseback emerged from the trees where he had gone down. They pushed the buck out and he ran below us over a saddle. We fired another shot but missed. After hours of following his blood trail, we decided to move on.


So, to save you heartache and regret this is what not to do if you want to get more than tag soup for dinner.

2 comments:

New Mexican Youngs said...

Aaron, that is to bad about the buck. It is always heart breaking when you shot an nice buck (or any animal for that matter) and can't collect him. Hopefully you get another chance to hunt this year.

Erich said...

I hate to hear stories of wounding animals. Too bad you couldn't put him out of his misery or recovered him. I've been lucky and never wounded an animal but I have been with guys that have, it sucks!